Please take 2 minutes to look at this. We all have such machines in our offices.
Some lessons learnt here...........
Most employees think that there are very few hazards in an office environment, WRONG! there are many, the normal Paper Shredder been one that we find in the majority our offices today. Please understand and be aware that this is an extremely dangerous piece of equipment that can cause serious injury to a person’s fingers if people operating it do not understand the hazards associated with it. Below is a lessons learnt accident involving a paper shredder?
Paper Shredder Accident
· Accidents can occurs everywhere, even at the office;
· The picture below is of a hand that accidentally got caught inside an office paper shredder;
· The person tried to take out the paper that was stuck in the shredder and her fingers were caught and pulled inside.
Lesson Learnt (Please share this with our employees so that one of them does not have to go through the same pain and suffering).
· Be aware and be cautious when performing any job – even simple tasks like shredding paper;
· Never try to clean or dislodge paper jams whilst a shredder is still running or energized.
· Always de-energize the machine (unplug it, etc) before attempting any maintenance, cleaning or paper retrieval activities;
· Even if de-energized still ensure to keep any body parts well clear of any sharp edges or nip points;
· If there’s any doubt or uncertainty in successfully executing any of the above mentioned tasks, refer the task to the maintenance department.